Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Our new Budget friendly "Ride"

I'm finally getting around to updating about our new vehicle! If you remember, one of my goals for 2012 was to get rid of the Jeep. CHECK!

Eric loved the Jeep, he had a hard time letting it go...but it needed to happen. Unfortunately for our debt, the better solution was to keep the Jeep and pay it off and THEN get a new car but for our monthly budget we had to get rid of the Jeep ASAP and I must say, we did it just in time! Just in the last month with gas prices spiking out of nowhere, we've gone from $38 to fill up our new car to $54. A full tank of gas lasts on average 1 week 5 days, whereas in the Jeep we were at $70 back when gas prices were 3.50's and this was lasting about 5 days. YIKES! So glad I'm not paying $100 a week just to sit at home!

So here's our new vehicle. It's not the sexiest thing in the world, it doesn't have a lot of cool options, and you can definitely tell it's a cheapy kinda car (I notice this especially in opening and closing the doors-- much much lighter) and it definitely could use some more trunk space ( I can get a single stroller in there but thats about it), but it does the trick and for now it is exactly what our family needs.



We plan on tinting the windows because the boys both scream when the sun comes out, and quite frankly I dislike that you can see straight into the car to see everything we have. Oh yeah, and you can stare straight at my kids at stoplights...so creepy. This is my first non tinted windowed car. Oh and it's my first NON SUV/Truck...ever.

What it isn't though, is it's not my first manual. Did I mention it's a MANUAL? Yes, yes it is. Not exactly my favorite thing about the car but I'm okay with it. Haven't driven a manual on a daily basis since high school! (My first car was a 97 manual truck).

The other great thing is that Eric's sister got a new car and gave us her old car, so Eric is using that as his commuter car and I get the Kia all day every day. Finally, some freedom. It is really nice to not feel trapped or stuck at home all the time.

Progress!!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new wheels, and I can't believe you've never owned anything other than an SUV. Crazy! I bet you feel really small and light driving around in your cute new car. Big phew on the gas savings, too; I'm getting killed at the pump lately with our minivan.

    ReplyDelete